- The National Education Policy Act, 1996 (Act No. 27 of 1996) (Section 3(k)) [NEPA]
- National Education Policy Act (27/1996): Amended 2020 School Calendar for Public Schools No. 43431 [43431/2020]
- National Education Policy Act (27/1996): Amended 2021 School Calendar for Public Schools No. 1055 [1055/2020]
- National Policy for Determining School Calendars for Public School in South Africa (Government Gazette 38330, 30 January 2015) [NP CAL]
- The policy determines the principles and criteria that must be taken into account in the design and development of the school calendar.
- The calendars for the current and coming years are at 2022 and 2023
- The policy also addresses the following matters that are important for school policy:
- The required number of school days per year: 195-200.
- Days for administration and planning: Teachers should in the beginning of the year start at least one day before the learners and at the end of the year stay on for at least three days for administrative and planning work.
- Religious holidays (see summary at 4.10.2 in this manual).
- Sporting and cultural days
- A maximum of two days per year may be allocated to schools for this purpose. Permission must be obtained from the Head of Department or his/her representative.